Asian and Pacific Islander (API)* women entrepreneurs continue steadily to make sizable gains in america. Based on the Center for females’s company analysis’s « Asian and Islander that is pacific Women-Owned in the usa, 2002: a well known fact Sheet, » there is a 45% upsurge in the sheer number of businesses Asian and Pacific Islander ladies possess between 1997 and 2002. An approximated 358,503 majority-owned, privately held companies owned by pacific and asian Islander feamales in the usa had been also reported, accounting for $49.1 billion in product product sales, and using a lot more than 370,000 individuals.
Other styles in development among API women-owned organizations between 1997 and 2002 include:
- How many workers employed by Asian and Pacific Islander women-owned businesses into the U.S. Increased by 18per cent, and product product sales rose by 29%.
- Roughly one-third (30%) of most minority women-owned businesses when you look at the U.S. Are owned by Asian or islanders that are pacific.
- Asian and Islander that is pacific women-owned represent 6% of most privately-held, majority-owned women-owned organizations in the us. Asian and Pacific Islander ladies business owners additionally take into account 10% associated with the total work of women-owned organizations, and 9% of product sales.
- API females business people are almost certainly going to have workers than are also firms that are women-owned. Almost one-fourth (23%) of Asian and Pacific-Islander firms that are women-owned at minimum anyone apart from the dog owner, when compared with 16percent of women-owned firms general.
- Over one-third (36%) of all of the companies owned by individuals of Asian descent that is american owned by ladies; Asian women-owned companies use 30% regarding the employees in Asian-owned businesses and generate 26% for the product sales.
- The 10 states aided by the number that is greatest of Asian and Pacific Islander women-owned businesses (on the basis of the range businesses, work and product product sales) are: Ca, New York, Texas, Florida, Hawaii, nj-new jersey, Virginia, Illinois, Washington and Georgia. These states additionally take into account over 75% of all API firms that are women-owned the U.S.
- At the time of 2002, the 10 states with all the quickest development into the wide range of Asian and Pacific Islander women-owned firms had been: Maine; Tennessee; Montana; Oklahoma; Kentucky; western Virginia; Wyoming; Vermont; Alabama; Idaho.
- The service sector (52%) makes up over 1 / 2 of the companies API women very own. Roughly 15.2% come in the trade that is retail while a projected 10% come in Finance/Insurance/Real Estate, Transportation/Communications/Utilities, and Wholesale trades.
- The states where Asian and Pacific Islander women-owned businesses comprise the share that is greatest of most women-owned businesses are: Hawaii (55%), California (14%), ny (11%), Virginia (9%), Nevada, nj-new jersey, Maryland and Washington (tied – 8%), and Texas, Georgia, Alaska together with District of Columbia (tied – 6%).
- Non-traditional companies carry on being areas because of the growth rates that are greatest for Asian and Pacific Islander women-owned businesses. Companies within the agriculture/forestry/fishing sector expanded by 70%, and the ones in transportation/communications/utilities increased by 56%.
*The U.S. Bureau associated with the Census separated Asian and Pacific Islanders from United states Indian and Alaskan Natives inside their « 1997 Survey of Minority-Owned Business Enterprises. » In past studies, both teams had been combined into one category.
Cultural teams within the Asian/Other U.S. Census Bureau data are: Chinese (28%), Asian Indian (18%), Korean (15%), Vietnamese (11%), Japanese (9.4%), Filipino (9.3%), Other Asian (8%), and Hawaiian/Pacific Islander (2%).
Quantity, Employment, product Sales an% Change Among Asian Women Owned businesses by Industry: 1997 to 2002
|1997(1)||2002(2)||improvement in %|
|Number of Firms||247,966||358,503||44.8|
|Product Sales ($000)||38,100,700||49,068,703||20.0|
|Number of companies||1,878||2,858||70.3|
|amount of companies||140||129||-8.2|
|product Sales ($000)||D||D||D|
|Number of companies||2,972||3,418||15.0|
|Number of Firms||6,240||6,774||8.6|
|Number of organizations||5,628||8,803||56.4|
|Product Product Sales ($000)||757,811||1,296,468||71.1|
|Number of companies||8,185||9,963||21.7|
|Product Product Sales ($000)||11,019,906||13,022,510||18.2|
|Number of Firms||48 oasis active,089||54,370||13.1|
|Product Product Sales ($000)||9,318,712||11,504,824||23.5|
|quantity of organizations||18,757||17,171||-8.5|
|Product Sales ($000)||1,362,952||729,524||-46.5|
|amount of organizations||133,721||185,314||38.6|
Supply: nationwide Foundation for females companies, utilizing posted information because of the U.S. Bureau of this Census.
States using the Greatest range Asian and Pacific Islander Women businesses that are owned 1997 to 2002
|State||Number of companies||Employment||Sales ($000)||Ranking by Number of Firms|
|New York||48,262||20,692||$ 3,287,276||2|
|nj-new jersey||13,994||31,845||$ 4,492,572||6|
Top ten States because of the Fastest development prices into the Number of Asian and Pacific Islander Women businesses that are owned 1997 to 2002